The Everglades is home to an amazing array of wildlife and ecosystems, join us as we explore and photograph this unique and vitally important place, taking you deep into the heart of the Everglades on a one-of-a-kind photography adventure! This workshop is not your typical "drive" around the 'Glades, you will be right in the middle of it by boat, kayak, and wet walk!
I had a great weekend at the workshop. I learned new information, learned to put it into practice, and had a nice little adventure in the beautiful area of Everglades. It was a very well organized workshop. Jason is a great instructor, very knowledgeable, patient, and laid-back. I would certainly recommend the workshop and the instructor to anyone.
-Inna M., North Carolina
- Loads of photography time and instruction.
- Explore the Everglades where you will photograph the amazing wildlife and scenery of this incredible place
- OPW, along with the skilled guides of Everglades Area Tours, will lead you into the Everglades via boat, kayak, and hike.
- Three days packed with photography, instruction, and adventure in the Everglades!
Fall 2015 - Western Everglades, Florida
Staggeringly beautiful and diverse, the Everglades is the largest remaining subtropical wilderness in the US. It has been designated a Biosphere Reserve, a World Heritage Site, and a Wetland of International Importance in recognition of the significant global impact if it is not protected and restored.
This workshop is lead by Jason Hahn, award winning professional nature photographer and Florida Master Naturalist. He has spent countless hours exploring Florida's natural beauty, from the uplands, to the wetlands, to the coasts, photographing its diverse wildlife and scenery. Jason, along with the skilled guides of Everglades Area Tours, will lead you into the Everglades via boat, kayak, and hike. While many photography tours only take you to places you can see from the side of the road, we will take you off the beaten path deep into the Everglades, exploring hidden and rarely seen places where you will photograph the amazing wildlife and scenery of this incredible place.
What's Included - Three days packed with photography, instruction, and adventure in the Everglades!
- Guided Boat Based Kayak Tour - The kayak transport boat will carry us deep into the Glades, where we will explore via kayak. The 'yaks we will be using are super light and stable, great for beginner paddlers and easy to work out of as photographers. We will take short trips out from the transport, which also provides a convenient nearby "base", allowing you to control how much you want to paddle, jump on board to take a break whenever you want!
- Guided Boat Tour - We will explore areas far off the beaten path, photographing from the boat. This is a perfect opportunity to get close to wildlife and photograph scenery at the heart of the 'Glades.
- Guided "Wet Walk" Swamp Hike - Experience the mystery and wonder of the Everglades first hand on this hike into a cypress strand. We will "wet-walk" on this tour where we will photograph a variety of wildlife, scenery, and rare plants like bromeliads and orchids.
- Sunset Photography - But before we even embark on these tours, we kick off our weekend workshop with an evening photographing the sunset over the Everglades.
- 2 Nights Lodging, breakfasts, and snacks!
The price for this photo workshop includes all of these tours and Jason's photography instruction, plus lodging, breakfast, and snacks.
Location - Western Everglades, Chokoloskee, FL
Dates - Fall 2015
Photography Skill Level - Any, Beginner to Pro
Activity Level - Light to Moderate. We will be taking kayaking (no experience necessary) and hiking trips through the Everglades during this workshop, which will involve a few hours of physical exertion outdoors.
Price - $995 which includes your photography instruction, all 3 guided photography tours, 2 nights lodging (Fri. - Sat.), light breakfasts and snacks in the field, and photo feedback and discussion sessions. Transportation to and from Chokoloskee, lunch, dinner, and gratuities for guides are not included.
Deposit - A nonrefundable $500 deposit is required to register.
Class Size - This class will have a 6 to 1 ratio of students to instructor. A minimum of 4 participants is required for this workshop to be held.
Travel - There are a number of airports within a reasonable drive from Chokoloskee. The nearest large airports are Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) near Ft. Myers, FL, which is 80 miles away (1.5 hr drive) and Fort Lauderdale/Hollywood International Airport (FLL) which is 100 miles away (2 hr drive). For directions to Chokoloskee, please click here: Google Map of Chokoloskee
Lodging - Double occupancy lodging in Everglades City on Friday and Saturday night is included. A single supplement is available for $161.
Time Zone - Eastern Standard Time, please adjust your clocks accordingly when you arrive.
Itinerary - We keep a very flexible schedule during the workshop to respond to the opportunities the wildlife, weather, and light provide us. However to plan your travel, here is a tentative schedule of where we will be and when.
Day 1 - We will be meeting in Everglades City at 4:00pm, then we will head out into the field where we will go over our workshop schedule, hold a short classroom session, and then head out for our first photography session.
Day 2 - Photography out in the 'Glades! We have three photography adventures into the 'Glades planned; a kayak tour, a boat tour, and a wet walk hike into the Glades. We will have one tour on Saturday morning, one Saturday afternoon, and one Sunday morning. Our schedule will vary according to the wind, weather and light, to give you the best experience and photography opportunities on each adventure. We start the day approximately 1 hour before sunrise. We then photograph throughout the morning, with a light breakfast in the field, then breaking at midday for lunch and open discussion sessions. Then after lunch we head back out for more photography, concluding just after sunset.
Day 3 - We head out for our third tour and final photo session into the 'Glades, with a light breakfast in the field. The morning photography will be followed by a final lunch question and answer session.
Afterwards - Download, sort, and review all the great images you got on your trip. Buy a new hard drive to store them all. Send us an email with your favorites. Tell all your friends about us. Wallpaper your home with your beautiful Everglades shots. Win photo contests with all your killer images. Sign up for another OPW workshop with your prize winnings... :)
Paying a Balance on this Workshop? PLEASE CLICK HERE to pay your balance
Click here for More Photos from this Workshop!